Monday, January 30, 2012

Exam Time

How strange it feels to be going through the experience of my daughter writing her first set of exams for high school.  Not that I am longing for her to be half her age, she is 14 and although life can be a bit overwhelming parenting a teenager who is bright and outspoken the rewards are amazing.  For some reason (check with my therapist) I relate much more closely with her excitement, anxiety, and sadness, after all I am a girl, and of course her mom!
I am so grateful that Kathleen chooses to seek me out to go through her study sheets, and has designated me the role of testing her on all the material.  She sometimes laughs at me because my French is a bit off (most of her classes are in French), but we somehow get through it.  The results show in her work, but it is the time I spend with her that confirms to me as her mother (I am fortunate to have this lovely exciting girl in my life).  Raising a teenager as you know can have its valleys and on those days I remind myself that I am learning too. After all, I have been there before (hormones raging) and I hope this gentle reminder to myself will help me be a better parent.  Not perfect.  I am far from that, but a parent that will hopefully be remembered one day for those moments  when we both sat together preparing for exams and laughing about my French. That is enough for me.

Until tomorrow,

MJW

No comments:

Post a Comment